Monday, June 6, 2011

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

For our second wedding anniversary, my husband bought me an ice cream maker attachment! He knows me oh so well. I was beyond thrilled and had made this ice cream within 24 hours of receiving said gift. I thought I'd start out with an easy and basic ice cream.
My ice cream came out as soft serve and it tasted like glorified Cool Whip. I was quite depressed. I placed my ice cream in my freezer and the next morning it was perfect ice cream texture.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Ingredients:

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
one vanilla bean
3/4 teaspoon vanilla


Directions:

Pour one cup of cream in a medium sauce pan over medium heat with the sugar and salt. Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds and place in the cream. Add vanilla pod. Whisk mixture until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm.
Remove from heat and add the rest of the cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Chill thoroughly before freezing in your ice cream maker. Always freeze accordingly to your ice cream manufacturer's instructions.

Source: Annie's Eats but originally from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment