Thursday, August 11, 2011

Corn Bread

Growing, I would visit my grandma and she would make this corn bread with beans and caramelized pearl onions. She would use crisco but I have found that butter makes it ten times better (doesn't it always?). It is a sweet corn bread which I think is the best and it isn't dry unlike a box mix. Although, I've noticed it dries out faster after you cut it so I always make it the before or the day of eating it.

Corn Bread

Ingredients:

1/3 cup butter at room temperature or Crisco
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425*. Using an electric mixer (hand or stand), cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg. Sift together dry ingredients and stir in cornmeal. Slowly add dry ingredients and milk to the butter mixture by alternating between the two (about a 1/3 of each per addition). Do not over mix. Just beat enough until combined. Bake for about 15 minutes in a greased 9 x 9 pan until slightly brown around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

Source: Family Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment